Home > About WHOLEGARMENT
Typically, a knitted garment consists of separate parts-the front and back body panels and the sleeves-which are sewn together afterward.
In sharp contrast, SHIMA SEIKI's revolutionary WHOLEGARMENT knitwear is produced in one entire piece, three-dimensionally, directly on the knitting machine. Consequently it requires no expensive, time-consuming post-production labor *. The "ideal knitwear," WHOLEGARMENT products raise the essential attributes of knitwear-softness, lightness and resilience-to an entirely new level of sophistication.
* Some designs may require partial stitching.
What is WHOLEGARMENT?
The Ideal Knitwear
Seam free construction of WHOLEGARMENT yields ideal comfort, fit and beauty of knitwear as it should be.
What WHOLEGARMENT Means to You
A superior alternative to conventional knitting methods, the seam-free construction of WHOLEGARMENT realizes substantial benefits unmatched by any other textile product. It opens up a world of unprecedented opportunities for the knitter, merchandiser, retailer and consumer alike.
- Without seams, patterns and designs remain uninterrupted across the entire garment: front-to-back; over-the-shoulder; and down-the-sleeves.
- True reversible knitwear can be produced without the added weight and bulk of double-knits.
- 3D shaping allows the design and silhouette of the garment to be reproduced exactly as intended by the designer.
- Bottlenecks in the supply-chain caused by labor-intensive cutting and sewing processes are eliminated.
- Cut-loss?the amount of scrap material that is thrown away after cutting out each part of the garment?is entirely eliminated.
- Since WHOLEGARMENT can be produced one garment at a time, the leadtime usually needed to knit each separate part of the garment is no longer an issue.
- The required number of garments can be knit at the required time, permitting true "on-demand" production.
- Since each garment is produced based on digitally programmed data, item-to-item and batch-to-batch quality?even for repeat orders?remain consistent.
- Superior comfort is achieved by doing away with annoying seams. This is especially effective in the case of infant and hypoallergenic clothing, where seams can be a source of skin irritation.
- Seams no longer interfere with the natural elasticity of knits, allowing superior stretch and mobility.
- Soft and lightweight, seamless skirts and dresses drape and flow more naturally.
- Seamless one-piece construction allows stress to be distributed evenly throughout, preventing localized pressure points which may cause discomfort.
- By knitting an entire garment with only the required amount of yarn, WHOLEGARMENT is environmentally friendly knitwear that uses minimal natural
Fine Gauge Refinement
Fine gauge and ultrafine gauge fabrics provide a high level of sophistication to knitwear, and help to expand its marketing range by replacing conventional perception of heavy, bulky sweaters with lightweight Spring/Summer knits. Fine gauge knits also help to open up markets for sportswear and evening wear as well.
Coarse Gauge Charm
Coarse gauge WHOLEGARMENT knitwear range from cozy winter sweaters to airy mesh tanktops. Coarse gauge knitwear can also mimic hand-knit fabrics with a crafty, charming, down-home appeal.
New Patterning Opportunities
WHOLEGARMENT has been evolving at a remarkably rapid pace since it was first commercialized in 1995. In addition to basic patterning options as intarsia, jacquard and various structure patterns, innovations such as the SlideNeedle have resulted in fantastic opportunities for the exploration of new knit fashion.
More Than Just Sweaters
Considering the extraordinary capability of WHOLEGARMENT to shape in three dimensions, it should come as no surprise that this same technology can be applied to shapes other than that of the basic sweater. Tops, bottoms, and everything in between can be knit in their entirety. Each of these items can be knit in the same material, color and pattern, allowing total coordination from head to toe, including twin-sets and beyond.
Accessory to Success
Headwear, neckwear and legwear can be knit without seams. WHOLEGARMENT accessory items also open doors to opportunities for success through development of new niche items.
As technically complicated as WHOLEGARMENT may seem, all production is performed on state-of-the art computerized equipment, and programming is easy using our computer graphic design system. WHOLEGARMENT goes a step beyond typical 'computer-to-knit' applications and realizes novel 'computer-to-garment' production.
WHOLEGARMENT knitwear in stores today carry WHOLEGARMENT Product Tags to identify the machine manufacturer's official endorsement of the product as original WHOLEGARMENT knitwear. Shima Seiki licenses these swing tickets only to WHOLEGARMENT users, in order to distinguish WHOLEGARMENT products from conventional knitwear, thereby creating consumer confidence in their quality.